While the program is open to all medically qualified physically disabled people, Dive Pirates focuses on disabled military, law enforcement and first responder veterans who have sustained injuries in the line of duty, with ongoing physical mobility issues and who have not had scuba training since their injury or disease.
As long as you meet the basic medical criteria for scuba, you may try adaptive diving. People with amputations, spinal cord injuries and those with hearing loss or vision impairment are the most common candidates.
Regardless of specific diagnosis or impairment, as long as you can hold a regulator in your mouth, breathe unaided and aren’t too terrified of water, you are encouraged to try.
What do I need to do to apply?
We need to get all the necessary paperwork in place for your Adaptive Diver Application so we can schedule your diving program.
Steps to applying for the Dive Pirates Adaptive Diver program:
- Fill out the Application form below, you will need your Passport Number and Passport size/ Headshot photo to upload (you can Save and Continue).
- Download, fill out and send us the completed Medical Statement and signed Physicians Release!
- Choose your Dive Buddy and get them to complete their application, including a completed Medical Statement and signed Physicians Release!
Medical statement and Physicians Release
In order to qualify for scuba diving, including adaptive diving, and to be an adaptive buddy it is necessary to pass a medical qualification that all scuba divers must pass. Most importantly the medical issues we are concerned about include cardio-respiratory health and the taking of prescribed drugs.
You may still be able to dive with these medical conditions, and as a result, you must have your Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) sign the form releasing you BEFORE we can begin the program.
Medical Statements are valid for 12 months, therefore depending on when you enter into our program and how long the training takes, we may need you to renew the Medical Statement in order to complete the trip element of the program.
In addition, we may also ask for the same medical form to be filled out by any specialists you are seeing for specific medical issues (i.e. cardiologist, neurologist, etc.)
To be given to your Physician:
Medical Statement and Physician’s Release
- The portion of the medical statement regarding your instructor, their facility and the facility’s location will be completed once we have the details of your training confirmed.
- For your safety we do not accept applications from candidates who have a subcutaneous pump for pain management or for managing muscle spasms or implanted devices is contraindicated because of the risk of rupture during the dive.
- We also do not accept candidates with ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunts as it poses a risk for reverse pressure of fluid during the dive.
The MD’s or DO’s sign-off
- The purpose of the medical questionnaire is to find out your current medical condition prior to participating in an adaptive diver program.
- A copy of the guidelines for recreational adaptive scuba divers physical examination is provided so that they can be taken to your physician for clarification.
- This signature must be made by an MD or DO. Unfortunately in this instance a Physicians Assistant (PA) or Nurse Practitioner (NP) is NOT valid.
Choosing Your Buddy
- You are compatible with
- Will get out and go (continue) diving with you after the Dive Pirates trip
- Enjoys being in the water and is comfortable, doesn’t necessarily have to be a great swimmer but will need to be able to swim and isn’t afraid of water
- Will look out for you and your safety
- Will lend a helping hand
- You trust and respect
- Has good judgment
- You will be able to communicate clearly and instantly with underwater
- Has a positive attitude
- Has good situational awareness, pays attention
- Has a calm demeanor
- Is reliable
- Is understanding
- Has a sense of adventure and you would like to share new and exciting dive experiences with.
Please complete the Adaptive Diver Application form with as much information as possible for us to be able to assess whether or not we would be a good fit for each other.
If you have any difficulties or questions regarding our application process please do not hesitate to contact us at