What's in a Name?
In 2004, the Scuba Houston chapter started to look at the needs for wounded vets returning from combat following information from Theresa and Martin Cortez of San Antonio, Texas.
The inaugural annual fundraising gala took place at the Houston Downtown Aquarium in 2005 and as a result of the generous donations four Adaptive Divers and their buddies were trained and accompanied able-bodied divers to Brac Reef Beach Resort in Cayman Brac, CI.
The trip was an overwhelming success, Nettie’s husband Bob, along with Tracey and Martine Hamilton of Dallas, Texas and Ginnie and Chris Pulliam of San Antonio, Texas joined the trip. These individuals formed a core group of Dive Pirates committed to forming a non-profit organization, training more instructors, teaching as many injured veterans as possible and expanding nationwide.
They formed a Board of Directors for the non-profit that also included Lou Brown of Christoval, Texas, Byrdie Thompson of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Nancy Walker of San Antonio, Texas and Dave Kuhary of Cleveland, Ohio. The rest as they say is history…
- Always follow the rules of safe scuba, even if you are a swashbuckling tech diver
- If you find cool fish or beasties underwater, share with everybody but don’t brag when you get back to the boat or you will have to walk the plank
- Stay off of the reef, you scurvy dog and don’t take no booty from the bottom of the sea
- Tip your dive master, they need dive booty too
- Play with the fish but don’t scare or touch them so that they hang around for the next ship of fools
- Share your love of scuba with as many people as possible, even if they have a peg leg, glass eye or a hook because you know it is the coolest sport in the world
- Booty must be shared with everybody on the boat, even if they are disabled
- If someone is disabled, then we find a suitable Pirate Job for them on the ship and keep them in our crew
- Always tell the truth to your dive buddy
- Dive pirates do not commit felonies or serious misdemeanors just to get a T-shirt or a Scuba Do Rag, these toe rags are immediately disqualified
- Be creative in your buccaneer missions, we need a good laugh
- All practical jokes must be in the spirit of fun–we don’t make fun or ridicule or cause harm
Adaptive Diver Code
- We don’t need no stinking wheel chair underwater!
- Anything worth having is worth working for
- Don’t give up